Give Mom something from the Heart this Mothers Day
Getting tired of just running out to the nearest Store and buying a bunch of flowers from their Floral Dept to give to the most important person in your life?
Well, you can put just a little effort and thought into something that will not take long at all to create. Mom (or anyone else) will be able to keep using it all season long. Better than flowers that will wilt in a week.
What is it…….
A Lettuce Basket…Of Course!
- Basket (any kind)
- Ribbon (any kind) I used this Christmas ribbon
- Weed Fabric (large enough piece to fit up the sides of basket)
- Plastic grocery bag, cut to fit basket with a few holes in the bottom
- Potting soil
- Plants–I used the following: Butter crunch Lettuce, Romaine lettuce, Red Sails Lettuce and for a little color I added flowers, Snapdragons and Coleus
- Line the basket with the plastic bag, then place the fabric in
- Fill with soil (don’t worry if fabric is still showing, lettuce will cover)
- Insert each lettuce in any order that you want. I used 2 of each kind
- Cover each plant with soil
- If you have any bare spots between plants, just insert some Spanish moss which will help retain moisture
All the lettuces that I used were grown in the greenhouse, but you can get these at a Nursery or local Greenhouses for about $1.00 a plant.
Plants – just the flowers $1.00
Basket – .50 at yard sale
Ribbon – 1.99 Craft Store 1/2 off
Weed fabric - .20
Potting Soil – .50
Total cost for my project —-about $4.50 — yours , slightly higher if you buy the plants
Think about doing this for Mom. You can even do this same thing using Herbs, or just flowers. Mom will love this more than just store bought flowers because you put it together with Love!