A Frittata is an egg-based dish that is similar to that of an omelet or quiche, that is made with eggs, meats, cheeses, vegetables and/or pasta. Basically the only difference is how it is prepared.
I like making Frittatas because they are so simple. I can make a nutritious breakfast and have it just a little more special without all the work. With just some prep time, you stick it in the oven until its done.
- 8 eggs
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Scallions (onions)
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup cheese, shredded, any flavor
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp oil
- Pre-heat oven to 400°
- Chop tomatoes and onion and slice mushrooms
- Crack all the eggs into a large bowl, add milk and whisk until blended
- Using a medium oven safe skillet, heat oil over low heat
- Pour egg mixture into skillet and cook until the eggs set a little on the bottom. Add salt and pepper
- Add tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and cheese to egg mixture, stir (reserve a little of each for topping)
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
The Frittata will rise and brown on top. Serve immediately and sprinkle with remaining onions, and cheese on top. The longer the Frittata sits, it will deflate, so I recommend to serve right out of the oven.