Homemade Shake N Bake
I was going to make Pork Chops one night and was tired of the same old thing. Fried! I remembered years ago, I used to buy Shake N Bake and make Pork Chops in the oven. Just coat them and forget about them for about 40 minutes. I really liked the flavor. I did not have any Shake N Bake, so I decided to throw some things together, and I came up with this recipe. If you don’t have Shake N Bake on hand, try this. You will never buy it again!
- 1 cup Dry Bread crumbs (I used the Italian style)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup Parsley (dried)
- 2 Tbsp. Oregano (dried)
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Basil (dried)
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir
- Pour the mixture into a jar with a tight fitting lid. (I use a canning jar)
- Label with date and keep refrigerated
- Pour enough of mixture into a bag or bowl to coat Pork Chops
- Dip Chops into some milk (water or buttermilk will do)
- Coat Chops with the mixture and place on baking sheet ( I use a cooling rack under the chops so they will get crunchy)
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes and turn oven down to 375 for 30 minutes (adjust time depending on thickness of chop)
Double the recipe and fill up the jar. It keeps in the frig indefinitely.
This mixture is also good with chicken and I have tried it with fish, and surprisingly it is really good. Don’t forget to do Chicken Strips. The kids love them this way.