If you like Salmon Burgers, you can either use fresh Salmon (which is always the best) or canned Salmon. I recommend the Atlantic Salmon, regardless which one you use. This is my own recipe and believe it or not, family raves on this. My sister Ruth can put the exact same ingredients in hers and they still come out tasting completely different.
Now, I am not bragging, but these are very good, (better than Ruth’s, I have been told). I guess when you have a sister (older ) there will always be competition. Now there are a few dishes that I can make better, but give credit where credit is due. She can make the most delicious Fried Chicken, Macaroni Salad, Apple Pie, Beef Stew, Fudge and Chocolate Cake, just to name a few. The reason why I named these dishes is because she has the market cornered with the above. I bow to her on these, but don’t mistake the cu dos I am handing out. I still make the best Alfredo (surpassing Olive Garden’s), Lasagna, Cabbage Rolls etc. and yes Salmon Burgers. Ruth is the down home country cook, while I always try to take it to the next level and put a splash of gourmet in.
Enough said, on with the recipe:
- 2 cans of Atlantic Salmon (7 oz) or 1 large can (15 oz)
- 2 eggs (large)
- 1 stack of saltine crackers (or 1/4 of box)
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 tbs Parsley
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1 tbs Canola Oil (other oils can be used)
- Place both cans of Salmon (undrained) in large bowl.
- Stir in eggs, onions.
- Crumble crackers into fine crumbs and toss in the salmon, stirring until it mixes to a consistency of a hamburger mixture. Do not add all the crackers if your mixture is becoming dry. It just needs to be to where you can form a patty.
- Toss in Parsley and toss gently.
- Place oil in skillet and heat over medium.
- Form patties and place in skillet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. ( I use Sea Salt and freshly ground Pepper) This adds to the flavor of the patty.
- Brown on both sides (about 3 minutes each)
Place on bun and top with cheese, tomato and onion. (must haves on sandwich !)